Skip Navigation LinksCity of Sacramento · Police Home · Be Safe · Victim Resources · Domestic Violence

Sacramento Police Department

Friday, February 27, 2015

Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence and Children Brochure

Domestic Violence and Children:
Facts and Resources.

Please click on the image to the right for more
information and to download or print a brochure.

Where can I obtain information on Domestic Violence?

The Sacramento County Family Relations Courthouse provides a free class that you can attend in order to help you through the paperwork to process the Domestic Violence Temporary Restraining Order. Classes are held weekdays, Monday through Friday (except holidays), from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the following address:

Family Relations Courthouse, Room 104C
3341 Power Inn Road
Sacramento, CA 95826
(916) 875-3400

Top of Page

How can I obtain a restraining order?

You can request a Restraining Order against a person who has hurt or threatened you, or other family members, by going to the Family Relations Courthouse at 3341 Power Inn Road. You may pick up the paperwork for requesting civil harassment restraining orders between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.

Follow these steps:

  1. Request a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) at the Superior Court at the location and time given above.  NOTE: Emergency Protection Orders are available through the Police Department on a 24-hour basis, and are valid for only 5 court days.
  2. Your TRO should be granted the same day.
  3. Serve the defendant with a copy of the TRO (Anyone over 18 years of age, except you, can hand the Order to the defendant).
  4. You must return to court in approximately three weeks to obtain an order that is valid for three years. This order must also be served to the defendant and copies delivered to the police station.

You can be ordered to see a mediator to try to work out visitation of any minor children involved. The law gives you the right to see the mediator alone, in a separate meeting. After any agreement with the mediator regarding visitation, be sure to return to court to obtain the three-year restraining order which protects you!

Top of Page

What can I do about annoying or threatening phone calls?

If you become a victim of annoying phone calls, you should report them to the police department. Your phone company may be able to assist in tracking the origin of the calls if they have a police report number.

If you become a victim of annoying phone calls, report them via our Online Reporting System.

If you become a victim of threatening phone calls, report them to the police department by calling (916) 264-5471. Law enforcement takes threatening calls seriously, and so should you, especially if you are in a battering relationship or have been the victim of domestic violence.

Top of Page

How can I report child abuse?

Anyone suspected that a child is being abused should report it to their local law enforcement agency. Sacramento citizens may contact the Sacramento Police Department's Child Abuse Unit at (916) 808-0650, or the Child Abuse Hotline at (916) 808-0577 or 808-0584.

You may also call the county child abuse 24 Hour Child Abuse Hotline: (916) 875-5437 (875-KIDS) or call the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline (1-800-4-A-CHILD).

Visiting the county's Department of Health & Human Services Child Protective Servies will also help you learn about mandatory child abuse reporting laws that you may be subject to.

Also remember that if you think that a child is in immediate danger from child abuse or neglect, then you should call 911.

Top of Page

How can I report elder abuse?

Elder physical abuse is defined as a situation where any person who has the care or custody of, or who stands in a position of trust with an elder, willfully inflicts upon that elder any cruel or inhuman corporal punishment or injury. Physical abuse includes, but is not limited to, direct beatings, sexual assault, unreasonable physical constraint, or prolonged deprivation of food or water.

To report physical elder abuse, call the police department at (916) 264-5471.

Elder abuse could also be in the form of financial fraud. This includes identity theft and any financial fraud schemes.

To report financial elder abuse, report them via our Online Reporting System.

Top of Page

© City of Sacramento | Web Policies | Need a document in an alternate format? | Text Only | Top of Page

We speak your language