Sacramento Police Department

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Neighborhood Nuisance FAQ

What can I do about my noisy neighbors?

A noisy neighbor may create a disturbance by having a loud television, stereo, or radio, or an out-of-control party. These situations are handled by the police department and are best resolved by the officers assigned to your neighborhood. To request a police response to this kind of problem, please call our non-emergency dispatch number at (916) 264-5471.

The City's Code Enforcement Department is responsible for the investigation of complaints of ongoing and aggravated noise which require monitoring with sound level meters or which are of a habitual or mechanical nature. Two common examples are a garage or residence being used as a rehearsal hall or local bars where music or amplified sound disturbs those residing or working in the area. You can contact the Code Enforcement Division at 916-264-5948, or you can use their Code Violation Complaint Form. The City's Animal Services Division handles barking dog complaints and can be contacted at (916) 808-7387.

Top of Page

What is the law regarding loud vehicle alarms?

The law regarding loud vehicle theft alarm systems is contained in the California Vehicle Code, Section 22651.5, which in part states that a police officer may, upon complaint, remove a vehicle if the vehicle theft alarm system has been activated for 20 minutes after the officer's arrival, and the alarm has not silenced within that time. A complaint for a loud vehicle alarm should be called in to our non-emergency dispatch number at (916) 264-5471.

Top of Page

What are the regulations regarding construction related noise?

There are no specific regulations regarding construction-related noise. This area falls under the city's general noise ordinance. Generally however, the noise restrictions in efffect between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. of the following day would prohibit most construction work. For clarification, contact Code Enforcement at (916) 264-5948. You can also search the City's Ordinances for the word "noise."

Top of Page

What can I do about barking dogs or animals running loose in my neighborhood?

Although pets can provide much companionship and love, they can also become a nuisance to an entire neighborhood if not cared for properly. All barking dog or other nuisance complaints are handled by the City's Animal Care and Control Division. Barking dog complaints can be called in at (916) 808-7387.

Top of Page

What laws and regulations exist to protect the public from excessive and annoying noise?

The City of Sacramento has ordinances, or laws that are in effect within the City limits, that regulate noise in the city. The city regulates noise based on the type of noise, loudness, duration and time of day.

Top of Page

How can I report narcotics activity in my neighborhood?

There are several ways to report narcotics activity in your neighborhood. You can contact your local police station.

For areas north of the American River, please call (916) 566-6401.
For areas south of the American River, please call (916) 277-6002.

The Police Department also maintains a Narcotics Hot Line where you can leave tips about narcotics activity anonymously. The tip line number is (916) 264-5796.

For information about drug abuse, please vist the National Institute on Drug Abuse

Top of Page

How can I report prostitution activity in my neighborhood?

You can use the online Crime Tip Form to report prostitution activity within the City of Sacramento.

Prostitution activity can also be reported by writing, telephoning, or visiting a police facility. Please visit the Sacramento Police Department Directory for contact information.

Top of Page

© City of Sacramento | Web Policies | Need a document in an alternate format? | Text Only | Top of Page

We speak your language