The Public Safety Information Technology (PSIT) Section is responsible for providing information technology solutions and ongoing support to over 2,000 Police and Fire Department sworn and civilian employees.
The personnel are responsible for a wide range of duties, including the following critical functions:
- Provision and maintenance of sustained network connectivity. Networked connectivity is critical for communication with other local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.
- Maintenance of key police computer and wireless systems such as Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) System, Records Management Systems (RMS), and the Mobile Data Computer (MDC) System. These integrated communication systems provide support enabling response to citizen's calls for service; the electronic transmission of police reports; information gathering and investigation by detectives; evidence and property tracking; and data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Maintenance of the Fire Department's RMS and staffing system. These systems ensure fire stations are staffed properly, and track reports, equipment, and inspections.
- Provision of technical "Help Desk" support for police and fire employees, and service updates for more than 2000 public safety computers including all systems, networks, and software.
- Research, development, and/or implementation of new technological systems to assist in reducing crime and improving investigative ability, including systems such as License Plate Reader (LPR) Software, Bait Car System, and permit tracking systems.
- Provision of crime data and patterns to City leaders and the community to assist in making informed decisions regarding law enforcement resources.
Download and fill out the VOLUNTEER APPLICATION
Police Volunteer Office
Sacramento Police Department
5770 Freeport Blvd, Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95822