The Sacramento Police Department will be increasing our enforcement near area shopping centers this holiday season in an effort to prevent auto burglaries and auto thefts.
Detectives will be working undercover, using bait vehicles and property, and patrolling areas that may attract holiday shoppers. Although auto thefts have decreased by 17.5% thus far this year, we would like this holiday season to result in an even larger decrease. The Police Department would like to remind those headed to the malls or holiday parties to take some proactive measures so that you are less likely to become a victim. The following are some suggested safety measures:
- When leaving your vehicle, always lock the doors.
- Take your parking ticket or access card with you; it's the thief's ticket out of the garage too.
- Do not keep loose change in the ashtray or in plain view. Leave the center console, ashtray, and glove box open to show there is nothing valuable in them.
- Do not leave any valuables in your vehicle.
- Park in a well-lit and highly visible location.
- Use a steering wheel locking device.
- Use a car alarm and alarm decals, if available.
- If you observe any suspicious persons or activity, immediately report this to parking security or contact the police.
- Have the keys ready in your hand before reaching your vehicle.
- Check the back seat before entering your vehicle.
- Don't leave anything you can't live without in your vehicle.
Remember, crime prevention is simple. Some of the most common items stolen from vehicles are unattended purses, wallets, cell phones, loose change, CD's, and briefcases.
BE ALERT, BE AWARE, AND PLEASE BE SAFE.