The Sacramento Police Department wants to make the community aware of a recent increase in vehicle thefts.
Vehicle thefts are on the rise in the southern portion of the City. In July and August 2010, 149 cars were reported stolen from the Valley Hi/Meadowview areas. In an effort to reduce the number of cars being stolen, officers are on patrol proactively looking for car thieves!
Vehicle thefts and vehicle break-ins are crimes of opportunity. Residents are encouraged to take the following preventative steps to reduce the "opportunity" and avoid the chances of being victimized:
- Never leave your car running unattended
- Never leave any keys in the car or ignition
- Always roll up your windows and lock the car
- Never leave valuables in plain view
- Always park in high-traffic, well-lit areas
- Use an anti-theft device that locks the steering wheel, column, or brakes
If your vehicle is stolen or property is taken from the vehicle, you should call the police immediately and make a report. Provide a complete description of the items taken and if your car was stolen; be prepared to provide the license plate number, make, model, year and color.
We provide additional crime prevention tips on our website; the more you know, the safer you'll be. Please visit our website at www.sacpd.org and click on the "Be Safe" option to find out how to better protect you and your property.