The Sacramento Police Department is warning the public to be careful when it comes to purchasing vehicles advertised online.
Auto Theft detectives have seen an increase in citizens unknowingly purchasing stolen vehicles.
Here are a few preventive tips that can protect you from becoming a victim.
- Do not purchase a vehicle without a title, bill of sale, or a release of liability.
- Ask to see proper identification of the seller and make sure the picture matches.
- Conduct your transactions during daylight hours and in a public place.
- Have a friend accompany you.
- Do your research before buying.
- Most people know the fair market value of the vehicle they are purchasing. If the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.
If you doubt the legitimacy of a transaction, you can call the Sacramento Police Department Dispatch Center at (916) 264-5471.