The Sacramento Police Department is proud to again be a part of the Martin Luther King Jr. march and celebration on Monday, January 21, 2013. The celebration will begin with the community march which starts at two separate locations before converging and ending at the Sacramento Convention Center. The Police Department would like to inform the public of rolling street closures and traffic impacts as a result of the march.
The Central march will depart from the Oak Park Community Center, 3425 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. at 7:30 a.m. and travel to the second meeting point at Sacramento City College, 3835 Freeport Blvd. Marchers will travel the following route:
· South on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and then west on 12th Avenue
· West on 12th Avenue as it turns into Sutterville Road and then north on Freeport Boulevard
· West on 13th Avenue and North on Land Park Drive
· West on Broadway and north on 10th Street to the west steps of the State Capitol
The North Area march is scheduled to leave from Grant High School, 1400 Grand Ave., at 8:15 a.m. The marchers will travel the following route:
· East on Grand Avenue and then south on Marysville Boulevard
· South on Marysville Boulevard as it turns into Del Paso Boulevard
· Continuing on Del Paso Boulevard toward Northgate Boulevard
· Cross Northgate Boulevard and onto southbound Highway 160
· South on Highway 160 as it turns into 12th Street and continue south to L Street
· West on L Street and south on 10th Street to the west steps of the State Capital
After the rally at the State Capitol, marchers will head east on L Street from 10th Street, and north on 13th Street to the Convention Center.